- Geographically distinct boundaries
- Voluntary membership for all who live or own property within boundaries
- Meetings must be open to all interested people
- The association must have a Board of Directors and/or Officers elected by its general membership
- The association must adopt and follow its own bylaws
- The association must maintain the capacity to represent its members by holding a minimum of one annual meeting and by conducting outreach a minimum of twice per year.
Key Concepts and Why They Matter
Lacasa’s Neighborhood Outreach Coordinator recently polled residents who were in the process of forming an association about traits they wanted in neighborhood board representatives. The most popular answers are below.
Desirable Traits in a Neighborhood Representative (in order of popularity):
- Someone with TIME to give
- Someone to provide a good example
- An advocate for the neighborhood